HVUT Filing Process with ExpressTruckTax
E-file IRS Form 2290
- Form 2290 is used to calculate and pay taxes due on highway motor vehicles that were used during the tax period. If a vehicle weighing at least 55,000 pounds was operated on public highways during the tax period, they must file and pay the tax with the 2290 Form.
- The Heavy Vehicle tax year runs from July 1st through June 30th of the following year. The annual tax deadline is August 31st each year. If a vehicle is placed on public roads at any time during the tax year, the Form 2290 is due by the last day of the following month that the vehicle was placed on the road and the tax is prorated based on the number of months the vehicle was used during the tax year.
- When Filing a Form 2290, there are several different types of vehicles. The most common vehicle would be considered a Taxable Vehicle. This would include all qualifying vehicles weighing at least 55,000 pounds that you plan to use for at least 5,000 miles throughout the tax period.
What is an IRS Form 2290?
E-file IRS Form 2290
- Once all of the information has been entered, the form can then be E-Filed.
- When E-Filing, the filing party can then sign the return with a PIN that they decide on. This number does not need to be entered again. It simply serves as an electronic signature.
IRS Form 2290: The Filing Process
IRS Form contains a Schedule 1 that must be stamped by the IRS before the vehicle can be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles. The IRS accepts this form by mail, but that can take up to several weeks to process. This form could also be taken directly to the IRS office, but that option can take several hours of your day. This must be accompanied by a proof of EFTPS payment.
It is required that this form be filed annually for each taxable vehicle that is used on public highways during the tax year. The tax year begins on July 1st and ends on June 30th. A Form 2290 must also be filed when a vehicle is placed in service. The due date for that is the last day of the following month. For example: if a vehicle is placed in service on January 5th, the Form 2290 will be due on February 28th.
Even though there are thousands, if not millions, of Heavy Vehicles that are required to file the Heavy Vehicle Use Tax, the IRS still requires everyone to either mail the Form 2290 to the IRS or actually come to the IRS office. Fortunately there is an easier way that has recently become available. www.ExpressTruckTax.com allows you to fill out your IRS Form 2290 online and send it to the IRS electronically!
ExpressTruckTax is authorized by the IRS to E-File Form 2290. This way you can get a stamped schedule 1 in about 10 minutes. The file is electronically submitted to the IRS, and within minutes the file is processed by the IRS and sent back to the person filing. The form will then contain a watermark from the IRS as proof that it has been processed.
When E-Filing this IRS Form, there are 4 different payment options that are given below:
- Electronic Funds Withdrawal
- EFTPS (Electronic Federal Tax Payment System)
- Money Order
Some of these options are quicker than others. For example, it is quicker to pay electronically than send a check or money order. As long as the check or money order is sent in the mail by the due date, the IRS will not impose any fees or interest. Visit www.irs.gov/trucker for more details.